Proof of Dutch knowledge for prospective students

Would you like to start a study course in Dutch at a Dutch-speaking university or college in Belgium? Then you must be able to prove a certain level of Dutch. In most cases this is level B2, but for some courses level C1 is required.

If you need B2, we can help you. First, ask your university or college whether a certificate awarded by the Huis van het Nederlands is accepted. We are not able to test level C1.

Which test are you taking at the Huis van het Nederlands?

The test consists of two parts. You start with reading and listening. This part is done on the computer and takes half a day. If this part is too difficult, the test will stop there and you will not have passed. 

If the reading and listening test goes well, an appointment will be made for the speaking and writing test at a later date. This is done with an employee of the Huis.

How to make an appointment for a test?


Use our online agenda.

Our assessment schedule is published on the website only few weeks in advance. Please check our calendar frequently for updates.

By telephone

Call +32 2 313 96 66

  • from Monday until Thursday
  • between 9.00 and 11.00

What do you bring to the test?

A valid proof of identity.

How to prepare for the test?

Practice test

You can take a practice test:

  • fill in your name
  • fill in your e‑mail address 
  • under school write: Huis van het Nederlands Brussels

The practice test shows how the test works. The level of Dutch in the practice test is not representative of the level of the real test.

To the practice test

Take a pre-screening

Are you unsure whether you have the required level of Dutch? 

Come to the Huis and take a pre-screening.

Read more about pre-screening

More information

More information about the procedure is available on the website of the Agency for Integration and Civic Integration (Dutch only).

Also read the test regulations (Dutch only) and check the test instructions.