Change your cookies preferences

Proof of Dutch knowledge for housing code

Would you like to rent social housing in Flanders?

To do so you need to be able to speak Dutch well enough to pass the Flemish Government’s A1 level test. Once you have lived in social housing for one year, you must be able to prove you have achieved this level.

The social housing association or the rental agency will test your knowledge of Dutch. What if you fail the test? You can then go to the Huis van het Nederlands, where you can enrol for a Dutch language course in Brussels. We can also give you information about self-study courses. If you learn Dutch independently, you can then take a test to prove the level you have achieved.

Which test are you taking at the Huis van het Nederlands?

The oral test takes half an hour and consists of two parts. In the first part you speak alone, the second part is a dialogue with the employee of the Huis van het Nederlands.

More information

Do you have questions about the tests? 

Do you have questions about the procedure? 

Check the website of the Agency for Integration and Civic Integration (Dutch only).